Friday, April 4, 2014

I HAVE MISSED BLOGGING...

This is my first post in almost a year...a year filled with joy, and sadness..illness and healing...

Another year has passed for us here in this desert...5 years now, we are hoping maybe 1 or 2 more years and then sell and move on...this is the longest we have been in one place for a while, lol...neither of us are fans of our town or this desert in general, so maybe a couple more, then time to move on before we get too old or sick to make a move...

This sounds silly to some, but we have considered selling the house, putting the proceeds in a one year CD, buying a small motor home and travel for a year...maybe then we will have the wind in our hair (my hair) and some travel out of our system and be able to settle for good.  My true love is Washington state, but Reno/Sparks area is a close 2nd.  Close to the grandkids, a good VA hospital system for Carl and seasons..and no state income tax..  Sounds like a win win to me...we'll see how it goes...no set plans for now!

My mom is for the most part bedridden and has been in the hospice system since mid January of this year...My brother got married in early January and moved out, so her care has been split between me and my sister Cindy, who lives so far away in Illinois..My brother is good to stop by and help when he can, and he takes care of their finances, so that is a huge help.  I did 8 weeks from January to March 10, and my sis will be here until April 25.  I'm not sure when she will be able to return as she needs knee surgery...I have tried to be positive and cheerful, but I have days when I am not.  It's hard to watch my mom in her condition, I love my dad but he is pretty much needing care too...so its really taking care of both of them..After my sister leaves I will be taking over again, but I will be doing things differently from the first time...I was spending almost every night at their home as my dad has a fear of falling...well my home life started to suffer too.  So dad will be wearing a life alert around his neck and if he falls, especially at night, he will have that to get help and contact me..I only live a few blocks away..I need to administer breathing treatments to mom 4x a day but I can run over and do that.  They get meals on wheels so those are their dinners..This will give me an opportunity to help them, but also give me time to do the things at home that need doing.  This probably makes me sound selfish and I hope it doesn't because I don't feel selfish, but I have things going on in my life that need some TLC too.  I guess I am venting a little, but trying to let everyone know what is going on in my life right now..

Carl and I are trying to get the things done that we need to do while my sister is here, appointments, etc..have wanted to take a 'couple' trip somewhere but that hasn't worked out..not really sure where to go, isn't that silly..would love to take a drive up the CA coast but we are running out of time for that, maybe in the summer when my sister is back.

We were able to spend about 10 days with the grandbabies a couple weeks ago..  Oh how we look forward to time with them, they keep us going, that's for sure..


Trying to enjoy this cooler than average spring weather the last few days, our summer will be here shortly and it lasts forever.  Like I said, I am not a desert loving person, so maybe one or two more summers and that's it!

Just wanted to say hi and hope there is someone out there that still reads my blog..
 

5 comments:

Annesphamily said...

Good to see you here! I am not a good caregiver except for my hubby and kids. I never had the opportunity with my folks or Uncle Louie and Auntie Ang. It was complicated so I would not feel selfish. Life is cruel and it is also good. Avery took take care of his oldest brother. It was ugly and messy and now he is in a nursing home on dialysis three times a week. The story with it is also ugly. We mind our own business. We have his younger brother John here, Vet with a double stroke. Waiting for assisted living. Caring for parents is a different thing from caring for people who spent their lives ruining their health. It is hard. John is generous with his sense of humor though. The other brother was just a drunk and prescription drug abuser. Nine ex wives and five children. None of them want him except the last wife. wants his name off her property. Funny, his money and good credit put her in those homes. Avery and I struggle to get by but we have great love for each other and our kids. So it makes up for all the things we can not have. If we can keep our health up for several more years we can continue to work. I remember when Colton was born nearly 18 years ago. I saw my mother so small and frail. Made me sad. Tomorrow will be 29 years since my dad passed away. I feel sadness like it was yesterday. My folks were good solid people and I understand your pain seeing your folks so frail. It makes life tough. There are no easy answers. Lots of prayer gets us through our days. I wish you the best with your folks. Good to see you here again. Writing is therapeutic you should do it more often. Hugs, Anne

joanne said...

you certainly do have a lot going on, no wonder you haven't had time to post! We are getting to the time in our lives when we are considering selling our home and traveling for a year or so to see where we want to end up.It's harder for you though as I don't have anyone to care give for. Glad your siblings help out and I know hospice is remarkable. Hope to see you post soon...take care..j

jennifer robin said...

Hey Barb!! So nice that you have started blogging again! Things will look up, they always do! I am now the proud Nana to 5 grandchildren! 4 boys and 1 girl!! Ages 7, 4, 3, 2, and 2 1/2 months. Life is good.

I do still drive 7 hrs. whenever my Mother needs help in Ohio. I live the closest and so in a blink of an eye, I will leave for a couple of days. Hard to leave my babies!

I think of you often, stay strong and have some fun!

Heather and Kathy said...

Oh Barb!!! I totally understand! I have missed your blogs but your life right now is crazy! You are not being selfish with the need to get some stuff done at your house. That is important too. I think about you and your mom and it reminds me of the time I took taking care of my mom. While it is hard, you will be glad for the time together even if she is ill. I am glad you got your dad the life alert so you won't have to spend every night there in case he falls. I am so glad your sister has been there to help and that your brother can help too. I am sending mega amounts of hugs your way! by the way - Michigan is a nice state too, specifically, Shelby Twp, Hint hint hint!!!!!!!

Heather

Love Of Quilts said...

Happy Easter!

Counter

Related Posts with Thumbnails

SEARCH

Loading...